Károly Lotz

Károly (Karl) Lotz 1833 – 1904 was a German/Hungarian painter and one of the last great mural decorators in Europe. He studied in the academy of the Venetian master Jakab Marastoni and with Carl Rahl in Vienna. Lotz designed monumental mural paintings for many prominent public buildings in Budapest, including the Ethnographic Museum, the Hungarian Opera House, the Hungarian National Museum, the Houses of Parliament, the Hungarian Academy of Sciences and Lotz Hall which until very recently had been transformed into one of the most beautiful coffee houses anywhere.

Virtually unknown to modern Western culture, Lotz was revered by the end of his lifetime as a ‘Prince of Hungarian Artists’. He was given a state funeral and his works were donated to the State of Hungary which are now in the Szépművészeti Múzeum.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment